Saturday, July 19, 2003

Flying Tips from Frequent Flyers



Jade and me in the new first class pods.

As people who fly a lot, we have a few tips for long flights.

Before leaving

First of all, when you book your flight, check Seat Guru to find your best seat.  The website is awesome and this way, you'll know just where to sit.  Then make sure you check in online to save time at the airport.

Now, before leaving for the plane, I like to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.  I use argon oil all over my body, followed by a body moisturizer, and I put a nice facial moisturizer on, too.  I wear very little makeup on the plane, because it's likely going to be all over my face.  If I'm going to want makeup on when I land, I'll bring it with me and apply in the seat before landing. (This only goes for a long flight, for short flights I will wear makeup.)

I also make sure I pack the following before leaving for the aiport:
- I'm very light sensitive when I sleep, so I bring an eye mask
- Jason is sensitive to noise, so he brings noise cancelling headphones
- Again, the planes are so drying, I bring facial moisturizer and lip balm to reapply as needed
- This one should go without saying, but hand sanitizer, and use it OFTEN.  Everything you touch on the plane has been touched by hundreds if not thousands of people
- Water is very important.  Buy a big bottle after security
- I also eat a lot when I'm bored, so I pack lots of healthy food: fruit, veggies, nuts and protein bars

How to dress
I remember when we used to get dressed up to fly.  Now people literally go in their pajamas (gross) or sweatsuits.  Just a tip, they will never upgrade someone dressed sloppily to first class.  Never.  It's in the rules.  Here's my favorite outfit on a long flight (it's what I'm wearing in the picture above):

- Think layers! a loose fitting, comfortable tee shirt or tank with a black cardigan

- A large black pashmina which can double as a blanket or pillow

- Leggings are super comfy and fashionable

- A leather jacket or blazer

- Flats or riding boots.  My feet swell, so now is not the time for pumps, and sneakers are only for the gym.

- Huge sunglasses.  If I'm not wearing makeup, or I've gotten puffy on the plane, I just like to hide behind large sunglasses

Side Note:  While flying I like to keep to myself and wear headphones and read.  Everyone has their favorite way to fly, but for me, I make a playlist that will get me in the mood for my destination, load it onto my ipad, and read while listening.  It's one of the few times I'm not working, so I like to take advantage.

Airplane Etiquette 
We always know the amateurs because they have no idea about Airplane Etiquette.  Don't be that guy! 

- Wait for your row or boarding zone to be called, and wait someplace else, not around the gate entry.  Don't be rude.  I know the overhead space is a premium and with charges for checked bags, everyone wants to carry-on, but if you get onto the plane and can't find space, hand your bag to the flight attendant.  You might be lucky enough to have your bag gate checked, which means it will be waiting for you as soon as you get off the plane.   Even better!

- When you board, put your bag in the overhead quickly and get into your seat, you are holding up the boarding of everyone when you take forever to find the perfect spot for you bag.  Also, if you are behind someone having trouble getting their bag into the overhead bin, help them out.  Everyone behind you will thank you.  One final note about overhead bins, please put your bag in the general vicinity of your seat, not in the first bin at the front of the plane when your seat is in the back.  What will the people in front do?  Go to the back of the plane to put their bags on?  Come on!

- Once you've done that, sit down, turn off your phone, and sit patiently.  The flight won't take off until that's done and it's YOU keeping the rest of us from going.  Don't go to the restroom, don't go talk to your friend 5 rows back, don't talk on the phone and have the flight attendant tell you 5 times to turn it off.

- Now that you're in the air, someone asks if you can trade spaces.  Here's the tip, never ask someone in an aisle or window if they want to trade for your middle seat.  Not going to happen.  Instead, try to trade like seats for like seats.

- Armrests:  The person in the middle seat gets both armrests.  Period.  That's the rule.  If you are in the aisle seat or the window seat, you can lean away.

- If you need to go to the restroom during a flight, please don't use the seats in front of you as your crutch.  It's not at all fun to be woken up by the shaking of your seat by someone grabbing it by your headrest and shaking you.  Also, try not to bump or kick the seat in front of you if you can at all help it.  (This also goes for movie theaters, but that's another post).  And don't forget those touchscreens on the backs of the headrests, don't pound to hard on those either.

That's all I can think of for now.  Happy Travels!
~Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment