Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sailing the Caribbean

Days 6-7: Jost Van Dyke, Sandy Cay, Tortola, Peter Island

I know it sounds like a lot for two days, and it is. We woke up and set sail bright and early out of Culebrita on Tuesday morning. We were heading against the current and the wind, so we really had to get going if we wanted to make it to Jost Van Dyke. 

When we did get to Jost, we found a perfect harbor 

and we decided to hike up to the cell tower. 

(Of course Ian and Leah hiked and then ran along the ridge at the top, so we let them go ahead, just the hike was enough for us!) It was crazy steep to get to the top, which was 1,000 feet up, but the views along the way were worth it. 

The goats were way better at this than we were.

Eventually, we met up with Ian and Leah at a little bar back at the dock, and we all headed back to the boat for dinner and drinks. 

On wednesday, we got up and headed to Sandy Cay for a morning walk and breakfast. The island was this little dot of an island with beautiful white sand and a path to explore the island. 

When we got there, Ian opened a coconut for us so we drank from it

and headed for our walk along the path that goes around the island.
The perfect spot for jumping pics. 

We headed back to the boat, but Jason decided to swim back while we took the dingy.

After breakfast, we headed to Peter Island, but we needed to stop at Tortola for some more provisions, so we pulled up to Soper's Hole. What an adorable marina!

We had to stop at this cute bar for a cocktails.

Then looked at some amazing boats docked here, shopped the little boutiques, and bought some groceries before heading back to the boat and off to Peter Island. While sailing the choppy waters, we thought it would be a great idea to jump on the trampoline to catch some air as we hit waves.

Great idea, huh? What a gash on my elbow!

Leah and Ian dropped Jason and me at the marina on Peter Island so I could get a medic to look at it while they found us a spot to anchor the boat. Unfortunately, no luck in the first aid department at Peter Island, but we did find a bar, so we sat down for a drink after we just walked around exploring.
Once Leah and Ian found us, we walked to the perfect little bay that they found for us on the other side of the island. There were no other boats and a private little beach with chairs and cabanas. 
Ian tended to my wound, we ate some dinner and hit the sack! Tomorrow we have massages at the spa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment